Tuesday, November 29, 2005

A Momentous Occasion in Shanghai


Tiffany- November 29, 2005

Today marks a very exciting day in my 3 months of living in Shanghai. For the first time since we moved here, while riding the metro, I did not have to cling to a wall for dear life, hoping to avoid getting trampled or pushed off the train at undesirable stops. And it gets better; I actually got my very own seat! It’s true, I even checked to make sure it wasn’t someone’s lap or a small child. Now, some of you may wonder, why the excitement, it’s just a seat? When you share a 2-line metro system with 17 million people, the word ‘crowded’ does not even scrape the surface of what these metro cars feel like. And I am sure many of you remember the previous blog entry, ‘Tiffany Takes a Tumble’, where I was, how should I say, ‘physically encouraged’ to get off the metro at another stop. So today, I’d like to think I’ve taken one tiny step in the direction of achieving ‘local’ status. It’s neat to see how far I’ve come in just a few months!

No comments: