Friday, August 18, 2006

Walk to Work with Tiffany

One of the benefits of my job is it’s a 20 minute walk from our apartment. While I do spend part of the walk looking at the ground to make sure I don’t step in any byproducts of the Chinese spitting custom, I try to make sure I pay attention to the myriad of things going on around me. I’ve managed to capture a few of these on film:

Across from my office, they have a senior citizen version of 'Mad Hot Ballroom' every day. It's great to see Chinese people do the rhumba in this heat. I don't know how they do it!








I was initially trying to get a picture of these smelly crawfish, but this patron was so excited I was taking his picture, he ended up being the subject. He was shocked and thrilled when I showed it to him on the digital camera.







Extremely popular this time of year is the sun umbrella. Ladies across the city protect their lily-white skin from unsightly, low-class tans. From a practical standpoint, though, it does keep you cooler with the mobile shade producer. Zach and I are wondering how hot it's going to have to get before we get our own his and her's umbrellas.....I have to say, we're getting close!








People always seem to be moving things in any way possible throughout the city. Whether it's dragging huge mounds of things by bike, or in this picture, baskets of fruits by crude yokes, things get moved! Thank god massages are so cheap here, those people's shoulders must be wrecked!








I always pass this man doing his exercises in the park. I have to give him props for his trendy adidas track pants and innovative workout moves!











China boasts an 86% literacy rate and it shows. The government posts all the major newspapers (including one in english print) at various places throughout the city. You can always find readers grouped around at any time of day.








In the past 12 months I've noticed the safety laws (as well as helmets, car seats, and seat belts) are.....non-existent in China. The no helmet, stand-up and look over the front of the motorbike method of getting your child to school is extremely popular in traffic-choked Shanghai. Something tells me Britney Spears should move to China, as the Chinese would be a lot more forgiving of her questionable parenting skills......











Without the burden of a pesky helmet, it's easy to stop for a cut and a shave at your local sidewalk barber!












I admit, I may have owned a plastic visor or two back in the eighties, but these full face ones freak me out. Granted, I'm sure they're great for blocking out the sun, air pollution and any stray spit that may come your way while whizzing through the Shanghai streets, but they still look pretty freaky!


All in all, I have to say the 40 minutes I spend walking to and from work are usually a highlight of my day. I am always guaranteed at least one or two 'only in China' sights or smells.........

No comments: