Monday, December 05, 2005

More of Zach's work musings

It's amazing that in a country that a) produces most of the world's electronics, b) boasts of the technological prowess in its cities and c) has more cell phones than land lines, voice mail is non-existent.

The phone a few rows behind me has been ringing non-stop for almost 15 minutes. Since everyone goes to lunch exactly at 12, there's no one to answer it. For some reason, the Chinese have a cultural bias against voice mail. My boss Matt says in the 3 years he's worked at Savills, he's received 4 voice mails, all from foreigners. I guess that's why text messaging is so big.

Aaahhh, relief. Someone just picked up the phone. And guess what? There was actually someone on the other end, who'd been patiently calling for 15 minutes! Unbelievable...

1 comment:

SergtPeppa said...

That's crazy. If someone didn't pick up my call, I'd just never call them again. Though I don't know how great voicemail is (seeing as we never check ours)