Monday, November 07, 2005

What's In A Name?

Tiffany- Nov. 7, 2005

First names in Chinese culture have very specific meanings. Names are chosen to indicate, and hopefully influence, aspects of a child’s life, such as wisdom, beauty and fortune. Examples of Chinese names include Jin Jing- ‘sparkling gold’ and Lin Yao- ‘beautiful jade treasure’.

When arriving in China, my co-workers were shocked to find that the only real meanings behind the name Tiffany are high-end jewelry or a washed-up 80’s pop star. They could not believe that Americans choose names based exclusively on how they sound. They encouraged me to choose a Chinese name, as it is custom for foreigners to do when living in China. Since all the names that I liked tended to be on the ‘peasant’ side of the name spectrum, they ended up christening me with more of a direct translation (Tee Fa Nee), which is pretty much Tiffany with a Chinese accent.

Since my ‘renaming’ session, I’ve had a few run-ins or heard stories of some interesting English names that Chinese people have chosen for themselves when learning English. Here are the best ones I’ve run into so far:

·Mariah Carey
·Alan Iverson
·Black People (individual’s name, not a group)
·Crazy Girl
·Cocaine
·Moist
·Window
·Superman

I have to admit, the list I’ve been gathering is not only entertaining, but also makes me realize how happy I am I’ve chosen a boring translation of Tiffany, as the wrong name could have been quite embarrassing... with my luck, I'd end up running around with something like Toilet Paper as my Chinese name!

No comments: